If you have ever seen a weight-loss advertisement then you’ll agree with me when I say that they practically make you believe that shedding pounds is as easy as pie. They tell you to pop a pill, buy this certain equipment, or follow this diet plan and all your weight will magically melt away.
If losing weight was that simple, half of the world’s health problems would fade away overnight. Sadly, that’s not the case and according to research in 2020, 83 percent of men and 72 percent of women will be overweight or obese.
If one intends to lose weight you need to understand that there’s no shortcut to achieving your goal. You have to work hard, sweat, and quit taking trips to your refrigerator with every passing hour. A simple strategy for weight loss is to be in a calorie deficit which means that you must burn a higher amount of calories compared to what you eat.
However, it isn’t as simple as it sounds and you may find it beyond challenging when you actually gear up to shed some pounds and lose those extra kilos. It’s certainly not just about sparing time to work out or opting for a healthy salad over a burger and pizza, it’s also about staying true to your goal and sticking to a schedule when losing weight during all the highs and lows. In a nutshell, you must be consistent and stay dedicated to your weight loss program.
In all honesty, a lot of people find it challenging when beginning their journey of losing fat and weight. Overweight can very easily lead to several diseases that will have adverse effects on one’s body.
What can you do to lose weight?
First thing’s first, if you wish to shed those extra pounds – you must change your attitude and constantly remind yourself of the reason that you’re losing weight.
If your sole purpose is to shed pounds or appear to look in a certain way, it will be extremely difficult to lose those extra kilos for good. Losing weight is such a fine goal but if you have someone to encourage you and push you – it all turns into a happy journey with very little to no hiccups.
Moreover, you shouldn’t forget that shedding pounds is a slow process. One must constantly motivate themselves while losing weight. Are you shedding pounds for your wedding? Are you doing it to remain healthy? Is your goal to appear in some beauty contest?
Don’t forget to remind yourself of the reasons why you begin this journey in the first place. Let me tell you that losing weight doesn’t only help you look great but it also helps you sleep better, gives you higher energy levels, puts you in a better mood and the list goes on. These are only a few examples of the benefits of staying healthy and in shape.
Try to keep a journal to record your progress or download apps that will aid you in keeping a track of all your advancement. This will help you massively.
Furthermore, when you decide that you’re going to shed pounds, you must not miss out on exercising and strength training. You don’t need to be in the gym 24/7, all you must do is figure out a way to come up with a schedule, follow it, and then stick to it without getting lazy. This way you won’t only lose weight and get in shape but you’ll also enjoy every session.
Your diet plays a key role
It’s no surprise that your diet is crucial when it comes to losing some extra kilos and let’s not forget that as much as we all love to indulge in some pepperoni pizza – we must learn to calculate our calorie intake, understand the concept of portion sizes, check out the labels at the grocery store and certainly make sound choices eating right – rather than falling prey to mindless eating.
Today, people are resorting to several kinds of diets to shed pounds such as Atkins, Intermittent fasting, Paleo diet, and low-carb diet.
However, a diet that has taken the world by storm is Keto Diet, and it’s no surprise that people who have tried this diet including me have seen miraculous results! I for one achieved that hourglass body after six months of Keto Diet and began to notice a massive change in my body. All my old shirts fit me quite well, I bid farewell to my face fat and above all – I felt like a whole new person.
What is Keto Diet?
Originally introduced in 1920, the ketogenic diet has carbs to fat ratio as 5:1. We eventually break down stored fat into molecules called ketone bodies (the process is called ketosis) in the utter lack of circulating blood sugar from the food.
In other words, a keto diet is a low-carb, moderate protein, a higher-fat diet that can aid you to burn fat more effectively. The diet has proved to have several benefits for weight loss, health, and performance, as proved by numerous studies. This is precisely why doctors recommend Keto Diet and why masses are raving about the phenomenal results.
How does Keto Diet work?
Below is the list of benefits that come with the keto diet:
1. Reduced carb intake:
When one is following the traditional keto diet, the carb intake on the individual is restricted to 5 -10% and of one’s total calorie intake. This in result puts your body into the state of ketosis where your body uses fat instead of carbs as the primary energy fuel source and then ketones are generated in your liver.
Additionally, your carb intake is then replaced by the consumption of fat by 70 – 90% of your calories. When you’re on keto – your protein intake must be moderate.
For instance, if you’re consuming 2000 calories, your protein intake should be 20% of those calories. It looks as if it’s impossible to do but once you get the hang of it, its cake! Although weight loss is not all unicorns and rainbows, sometimes we have to cross paths with thorns but we must not let that stop us.
2. Reduction of hunger:
During Keto – your hunger reduces and the urge to consume a larger amount of food decreases eventually since you’re not consuming a lot of carbs. The diet introduces decreased levels of ghrelin which is one of the human body’s core hormones that generates hunger.
This is a huge benefit of the keto that I personally feel can take your entire weight loss journey to another level. While being on Keto wasn’t very easy for me – I did feel that my urge of consuming sugar and carbs reduced to 70% and I felt like I’m finally doing my weight scale a favor by standing on it!
3. Promotes the reduction of water weight:
An additional benefit of this miraculous diet is that it helps reduce your water weight since there’s very little consumption of carbs which results in weight loss. The reason behind this amazing phenomenon is that carbs hold water in your body in their stored form, and when you reduce your carb intake during keto diet; stored carbs are released resulting in the loss of water weight.
4. Calorie balance:
Now that we have learned that the keto diet allows you to resort to fat for weight loss and very little intakes of carbs – let us also talk about the calorie deficit.
So, the thing about this diet is that you don’t automatically lose weight by being in ketosis 24/7. You also have to be in a calorie deficit so that your metabolism runs out of dietary fat and begins to run on your stored body fat.
The best part about the keto diet is that ketosis may not make you melt body fat all the time but it considerably ramps up your metabolism.
Why are people following Keto Diet?
Below are a few more reasons why people choose to go on a keto diet:
Besides showing some promising results in weight loss, the keto diet has shown miraculous benefits that reduce seizures in children, sometimes as effectively as medication.
In fact, there are also possible benefits for other brain disorders such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, sleep disorders, autism, and even brain cancer.
Decrease of acne:
Let’s be real, food plays a crucial role when comes to skin and since there’s a very minimal carb consumption on keto – your acne naturally reduces. In fact, a study conducted in 2012 – by decreasing carb intake, a ketogenic diet could decrease acne symptoms in a lot of individuals.
Reduced risk of cancer:
According to particular research, the ketogenic diet might be an effective and safe alternative treatment for use in people with some cancers, alongside chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It’s because, in cancer cells, it can trigger more oxidative stress than regular cells, causing them to perish.
When an individual opts for the keto diet, they’re naturally consuming healthy fats, like avocados instead of less healthy fats, such as pork rinds, which can aid in the betterment of heart.
High cholesterol can boost the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Subsequently, reducing the impact of a keto diet on cholesterol will lower the risk of heart attacks in an individual.
A recent report found a healthy heart can be achieved with a healthy diet thus, eating low carb and healthy fats will result in a better quality heart.
What do you eat on Keto Diet?
Since there’s a high-fat necessity in this diet, the supporters must consume a reasonable amount of fat during keto. Look at it like this, if one is consuming about 2000 calories per day, they will have to divide them in a way that they eat 165 grams of fat, 40 grams of carbs, and 75 grams of protein. Although, this varies from individual to individual.
Moving on, the types of unsaturated fat that you can consume during keto, include healthy nuts like walnuts and almonds. They are a great way to snack on or use in food while avocados, and butter, coconut oil are an excellent way of resorting to when consuming saturated fats.
Furthermore, protein such as beef, bacon, and pork have high saturated fat and you can consume them on keto. Now that we have discussed fats and protein, let’s also talk about how fruits play a crucial role in keto as well. Since all fruits are rich in carbs, you can pick certain types of fruits to consume.
If you eat berries in small portions, you’re good to go and when comes to talking about vegetables, which are again rich in carbs – one can have broccoli, brussels sprouts, garlic, mushrooms, celery, cauliflower, cucumber, summer squashes, asparagus, and bell paper to name a few.
For both developing and developed countries, obesity has now become a significant chronic disease. This is also related to a number of chronic illnesses. In fact, It is reported that about 3 million people get killed every year from being over-weight in the USA alone.
Recent research from different labs has found that a high-fat diet that is rich in unsaturated fatty acids (keto diet) is quite effective in reducing body mass and the health conditions for several illnesses.
Using the keto diet has been beneficial for countless people today and as mentioned above, the keto diet can help you reduce your cholesterol levels, help with high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol to name a few. Keto diet has proven to be a successful journey for people who were once combatting obesity.
Lifestyle change and exercise
Breaking your macros and calories that suit your diet is the ideal way to assure that keto works phenomenally. Keto diet isn’t what we do something for a few months. Whether its keto, paleo, or any other low-carb diet – when you’re following it, you must understand that this is a lifestyle change.
Sticking to the keto diet will not only be your ticket to weight loss, but it’s also the perfect way to keep you healthy. While doing my research on keto, I learned that people who once had palpitations frequently before keto are now mentioning that they are 40% lesser.
Allow me to share a personal experience with you. When one of my best friends tried the keto diet, she also showed interest in working out and staying active. It’s no surprise that the source of energy usually is derived from carbs but on keto, one consumes little or no carbs and that effectively makes working out hard.
What my friend did and I’d also recommend you that try and opt for a light walk, jog, walk, try yoga and do light exercises since high-intensity workouts can very hard during the keto diet. She lost about 20kgs in a year and her hard work paid off.
Keto tips for beginners
When you begin a keto diet, you should understand that there are things that might help you when you embark on your journey. Below are a few tips that might help you if you’re a beginner at keto;
1. Start simple and don’t over complicate things: Pick a protein such as beef, chicken, pork, and pair it with a vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, or any other low-carb vegetable, and the final touch is that you then add the fat such as butter, ghee or oil.
2. Remove temptations: If you wish to stay consistent on keto and not lose track then, you must remove all the temptations from your house. These may include grains, high sugar foods, starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and partnerships, etc. You also should get rid of high sugar fruits and low-fat dairy from your home since that will only tempt you to consume it.
3. Stock your refrigerator: Make sure that your fridge is stocked and when you’re hungry, you don’t resort to junk food. This point here is extremely vital and must not be ignored. Keep your refrigerator stocked with leafy greens, beans, low-carb vegetables, protein, and healthy fats, full-fat dairy, and low carb fruits like raspberries, avocados, and coconut.
4. Stock your pantry: Like your refrigerator, you must keep your pantry stocked as well with herbs and spices such as basil, cinnamon, and dill, low-carb contaminants such as mayo, hot sauce, and mustard, nuts, such as macadamia, walnuts, and almonds. You should also keep almond flour, coconut flour, and flaxseed meal along with sugar-free beverages like tea, coffee, and water. Always purchase products that are keto-friendly and a good tip is is to read labels before the purchase.
5. Don’t rush into it: If you’re someone who comes from a lifestyle where you consumed a lot of sugar and high carb diets, then you must ease into the keto lifestyle because quitting it cold turkey will leave your body in a shock. Every time you crave sugar, try to distract yourself by watching a show or just drink some saltwater or have pickles. This might help you initially and eventually, your body will pick up the pace.
6. Divide your diet into three major items: You must limit your carbs to 10% and consume very little of it while you’re on keto. After that, your focus must be your protein and then your fat- making them three major components of your diet.
Now, the thing is that each individual has a different body requirement and for that, we have a Keto Weight Loss Calculator. This calculator helps you with everything regarding your diet on keto.
It will provide you a meal plan; tell you how long will it take you to achieve your goals if you stuck to your routine, and help you achieve a weight loss plan. Basically Keto Weight Loss Calculator is a one-stop solution to all your keto diet problems.
7. Portion size: When you begin your keto journey, make sure that you understand the concept of portion sizes and if you eat too much, you just might end up gaining weight. Understand your body and wait for its signals. You must have a balance of protein and fat after you calculate your meal plan on Keto Weight Loss Calculator. Eat only when you’re hungry and let your body decide the amount of food it requires.
8. Plan your meals: If you plan your meals beforehand, you’ll be in such a great place and will have something to eat when hungry. Otherwise, you’ll end up resorting to a bag of chips of a box of cookies. The key here is to prep your meals beforehand and store them in the refrigerator.
9. Stay hydrated: This pointer is yet another one that can’t be missed out or skipped. When you’re a beginner on keto, you’re bound to find it difficult but you must stay consistent and follow the above tips. Staying hydrated is yet another key factor that you shouldn’t forget. You must consume at least 4-5 liters of water daily and an additional benefit of that is that water keeps you feel full.
10. Get support: Join a Facebook support group, befriend people who have or are on the keto diet and maybe look for support groups online that might encourage and push you into becoming a pro at keto diet. It’s no surprise that getting help and having people who are on the same boat as you are is nothing less than a blessing.
Different kinds of Ketogenic diets
Now that we have discussed various crucial aspects of the keto diet, let’s also focus on the types of keto diets. Below are a few kinds of keto diets that you can pick and choose from and decide on how they fit best for you.
1. Standard keto diet: This diet includes low carb, moderate protein, and high fat.
2. Very low carb ketogenic diet: This diet requires you to consume very little or no carbs at all on the diet.
3. Well formulated ketogenic diet: This diet includes macronutrients of fat, protein, and carbs to meet the ratios of standard keto diet which then results in the occurrence of ketosis.
4. Calorie restricted keto diet: This diet is quite similar to the standard keto diet but requires you to limit your calories to lose weight.
5. Cyclical ketogenic diet: This diet is when more carbs are consumed. Basically you follow five days of the ketogenic diet and two days of high carb. Typically, this diet is followed by athletes so that they gain muscle during the workout.
6. High protein keto diet: This diet encourages you to be high on protein. You divide your food into 35% protein, 60% fat, and 5 % carbs.
Keto diet has benefitted countless people and several studies have proved its positive results on health. There are so many success stories where people are vocal about the excellent results of the diet and today, this diet has taken the world by storm.
From millennials to Generation Z – everyone has tried and tested the diet and seen miraculous results. All this requires is for you to be patient and consistent. Agreed that weight loss isn’t simple but if you put your heart, soul, and mind in it – you’ll reach your goal.
Today, popular celebs and renowned names rave about keto diet and let me tell you that once you start his diet, this will be your new lifestyle and you just might fall in love with it and see how your body changes into something you never expected it to transform into.
So, are you on a keto diet? Starting a keto diet? Or did you take a break fro keto diet and wish to get back to it? Well, wonders await you.